<$BlogRSDUrl$>

1.12.2004

Weekend Wrap-Up 1/11/2003: UMass retirements and campus conservatives 

Blogging will be sporadic for the week, possibly for the rest of the month.

Tomorrow I'm taking off for a one-day trip to Philadelphia. A friend got a callback for a role (she goes to Temple but isn't due to come back for another week), and I'm tagging along.

First time on a plane.

Here's hoping that I don't turn into Adrian Monk, or that my experience will be as bad as this guy's over at Boing Boing.

I don't have a state ID, only a temporary one. The real one has yet to be mailed to me. I called up customer service at Logan, and the woman said it was going to do, but I'm bringing extra ID just in case.

The rest of the month I'm pursuing some Big Stories, so we'll see how blogging holds up.

From the weekend:

The Boston Globe's Campus Insider column has stuff on UMass retirements (73 percent of those who took out papers ended up retiring), and the incoming flood of UMass Amherst applications. Also, a decrease in student downloading of music.

"The false piety of campus conservatives in the US is sickening. Just because you're the only _____ in your dorm doesn't mean you're the sole beacon of _____ light anywhere," writes Wax Banks, via Boston Common. "The opposite goes for campus lefties, but that's a different blog post, for a different night."

Over at Critical Mass, students feel as though they must toe the professor's ideological line in order to get a good grade. Erin O'Connor puts it well: "The point of a college education--and here I speak as an idealist and not a pragmatist--is to expand the mind and sustain the soul, not to teach young adults the self-destructive art of lockstep."

Russian monks want their bells back from Harvard.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?