<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.08.2003

Rebel Yell Columnist: fallout from scandal over column, plagiarism accusations 

Recently reinstated Rebel Yell columnist Alexander Marriott instant messaged Campus Press Notes earlier this evening. What follows is most of what was said.

For those who would like to catch up to speed on the issue, here is where some of it started, kept rolling here, an editor resigned here, and then the latest here.

JohnGaltisAlex: Hello, you have a nice blog by the way, very informative
Masked Mouse: Ah, thanks. I'm posting stuff right now, actually.
Masked Mouse: Thanks for the e-mail.
Masked Mouse: [Rebel Yell hasn't] put up a new issue since?
Masked Mouse: All I found was the retraction.
JohnGaltisAlex: that was the last issue, it came out on the 5th, next issue comes out on the 10th
JohnGaltisAlex: though more people are falling out of the staff
Masked Mouse: Really? Fallout from the scandal?
JohnGaltisAlex: You could say that, the Opinion Editor defended me during this, but her section was used without her knowledge to put some anti-me propaganda in there on the 27th of Octoberm which is why the Editor-in-Chief was going to be fired by the Yell advisory board, hence she resigned
JohnGaltisAlex: an opinion writer supportive to me resigned out of disgust before that
Masked Mouse: So the Editor in Chief pulled a Nixon?
JohnGaltisAlex: and the Opinion Editor quit today because she could no longer stand working with several people who were responsible for my situation, namely the Managing Editor and the Sports Editor, yes, she did, she would have been fired on the 3rd if she hadn't resigned
Masked Mouse: Wow.
JohnGaltisAlex: this will continue to blow apart until those two at least are gone, which could happen at any time
Masked Mouse: And the Review Journal has been covering this?
JohnGaltisAlex: but the board can only fire or hir the Editor-in-Chief
JohnGaltisAlex: Yes, they started following it when the papers got trashed and have been following hit fairly heavily after I got fired
JohnGaltisAlex: it*
JohnGaltisAlex: every paper in the city is following it in some way or another
Masked Mouse: Ah, I see yesterday's edition had something.
JohnGaltisAlex: helps that a local radio show has been supportive of me and has had me on a couple of times
Masked Mouse: And the school?
Masked Mouse: Administration? Other students?
JohnGaltisAlex: the school officially has done nothing, other students that I've talked to have been largely supportive
Masked Mouse: Are there going to be enough people to put out the paper after this?
JohnGaltisAlex: some have argued with me about the original article but I haven't talked to anyone who thinks the whole firing episode was legitimate.
JohnGaltisAlex: the Managing Editor just takes over the posts that come up vacant, I think they'll limp out the rest of the semester
Masked Mouse: Until the next round of people show up to work.
JohnGaltisAlex: assuming the whole editorial staff, that's left, isn't dismissed next week
JohnGaltisAlex: some sort of sexual harrassment scandal
Masked Mouse: Good god.
JohnGaltisAlex: lol, I know, it's a mess
JohnGaltisAlex: plus the university got some nation wide bad press with John Leo's column
Masked Mouse: I didn't hear of this.
Masked Mouse: What was that about?
JohnGaltisAlex: US News and World Report, he gives out awards to college presidents who look the other way when free speech is stifled on campus, he mentioned me and the University president, Carol Harter
Masked Mouse: Ha. That must have reflected great on the u.
JohnGaltisAlex: also appeared in the New York Daily News, and Jewish World Review I think
JohnGaltisAlex: I'm sure they don't appreciate it, but oh well
JohnGaltisAlex: I plan to file a complaint against a member of the faculty for purposely targeting me next week
Masked Mouse: What happened on that end?
JohnGaltisAlex: well Cathy Scott, www.cathyscott.com, is a part-time teacher at UNLV's journalism department and I guess the former EIC went to her for advice rather than the person the advisory board pays to give advice as to what to do about me. so not only did she embolden the libelous actions of the EIC but she made herself available for public comment and told the RJ that my article was "too advanced" for a college student and that Dr. Berliner cleared me because he was "flattered" that he and I have the same ideas, therefore he doesn't mind if I steal his stuff
Masked Mouse: Ah, she's the one who got the plagiarism accusation ball rolling.
JohnGaltisAlex: I think she clearly abused her position by inserting herself into a matter where she had no business and publicly supporting what are now universally considered bogus charges
JohnGaltisAlex: she is one of the people, whoever else was involved won't admit to it, but it's someone in the English department I think, I've also heard about someone in the history department who may have been involved, but she is the only one to make herlsef publicly known
JohnGaltisAlex: herself*
Masked Mouse: And you're filing the complaint with Academic Affairs?
JohnGaltisAlex: I was just going to go down to the Journalism department and file it there, she's ruffled some feathers there because she was essentially trying to usurp the advisory position for herself

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?