<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.07.2003

Controversial Rebel Yell columnist reinstated, allegations retracted 

Remember the University of Nevada-Las Vegas student who wrote a controversial Christopher Columbus article?

I was looking at your website and thought I'd correct something for you. I never resigned my post at the Rebel Yell, I was called on the night of October 20, 2003 and was told I had plagiarized and informed that I was fired. Also, after the Editor-in-Chief resigned the paper apologized and retracted their allegations publicly and also publicly announced that I had been reinstated to my job. Thanks.

Alexander Marriott
Rebel Yell Retraction:

"A column by Rebel Yell columnist Alexander Marriott on Sept. 29 entitled 'Christopher Colombus, We Salute You' was not plagiarized. Mr. Marriott has been reinstated to his position as staff columnist on the Rebel Yell. We apologize to Mr. Marriott for all inaccurate characterizations of his writing..."

Here's an article from the Las Vegas Review Journal: "UNLV's student newspaper has apologized to newly reinstated columnist Alexander Marriott for its allegation that he committed plagiarism..."

This column by US News and World Report's John Leo gives the university a Sheldon because of it.

Be on the look out for an impromptu online conversation with Alexander Marriot himself, to be posted later tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?