<$BlogRSDUrl$>

10.21.2003

There's some good news and there's some bad news 

Bad news: College tution keeps going up.

Good news: College textbooks used in America can be gotten for half-price in England.

Below, an interesting comment from a UPenn linguistics professor, responding to a person (presumably a student):

"I sure don't get any kickbacks for "forcing my classes to use 'upgraded' textbooks". I've never heard of such a practice. These days, I'm lucky if I can even get the publishers to follow the traditional practice of sending me a free desk copy for evaluation purposes; more and more often, publishers want me to pay for the text before I consider creating a captive market of 40 student customers for them.

I share your anger about the problem of publishers charging unreasonable prices for textbooks. If I could find a low-priced textbook which is a reasonably academically sound choice, I'd choose it. Unfortunately, for every course I've ever taught, all of my choices have been overpriced. So what I'm forced to do is to make the best tradeoff I can between picking the most academically suitable text vs. saving my students as much money as I can..."


AP has more on the tuition increases.

The tuition increases are offset by increased financial aid, reports USATODAY.

UPDATE: Boston Globe had an article:

For the current academic year, tuition at public colleges averaged $4,694, up almost $600 from the year before. At the University of Massachusetts, tuition and fees this fall increased 30 percent over last year, leaping from $5,750 for in-state undergraduates to $7,500.

The rate of tuition increase at four-year private colleges was 6 percent, with the average tuition now at $19,710 nationally and $25,093 at colleges in New England, the most expensive region in the country, the College Board reported in its annual "Trends in College Pricing" survey.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?